Dr. Scumpia says:
- All adults need to have a cholesterol screen
- Depending on how high it is sometimes, even young people might need treatment
- If the cholesterol is high then a work up with your doctor will rule out other causes (diabetes, liver , thyroid , kidney )
- Anybody over the age of 40 men and women over the age of 50 even with borderline cholesterol should have a formal cardiovascular risk stratification to assess if they need to be treated with medications .
- This involves looking for cholesterol plaque in the carotid ( large vessel that goes to the brain ) and the coronary arteries( which are around the heart ).
- Even with minimum build up, aggressive measures are needed to prevent heart attacks and strokes