Our Vision – Why Choose Us?
- Scumpia has been called a “sleuth” in endocrinology and medicine because of her passion to find the root cause of symptoms. Patients come to see her often for a second or third opinion. She was fortunate to have been trained in endocrinology starting with her first years in medical school, and later was taught and mentored by many prominent endocrinologists. Dr. Scumpia has long dreamed of starting an independent hormone institute to offer the best available care to her patients, which she opened in 2002. She is thankful to be of service to the Austin and Central Texas community.
- The center provides exceptional endocrine (hormone) care under the direction of Dr. Scumpia, who uses her extensive expertise in medicine since 1980 and endocrinology since 1990. Dr. Scumpia trained in Europe, Canada, and the United States. Her medical training combines the clinical approach prevalent in Europe and Canada with the rigorous scientific discoveries in the US.
- Austin Thyroid & Endocrinology is the only outpatient endocrine center in Austin that provides onsite radioactive iodine uptake for diagnoses of Graves’ disease and hyperthyroidism, as well as in-house treatment with radioactive iodine for thyroid cancer, Graves’ disease and hyperthyroidism.
- Patients are tested in the same place where they see their endocrinologist, as indicated by their medical needs. Patients do not need to travel from place to place.
ALL NEW patients are seen personally by Dr. Scumpia, who is the only physician who makes diagnoses and formulates treatment plans with proper follow-up care.
- Facilitate immediate access to endocrine care. Urgent patients can be seen the same day with a call from the primary care doctor, and new patients can be accommodated within three days. This vision came from the observation that many patients have to wait weeks and even months to be seen by an endocrinologist. Such delay is unacceptable and can even be dangerous in the case of an uncontrolled condition, e.g. hyperthyroidism (high thyroid), uncontrolled diabetes, and adrenal failure.
- Conduct second opinion consultations in difficult cases.
- Provide education to the public about hormones and endocrine care for the betterment of the community.
Favorite sayings in our clinic:
- Measure what is measurable, and make measurable that what is not.
- Control your hormones, control your life.
- The difference between a pioneer and a fool is only timing.
- I wasn’t born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could!